CHAPMAN EASTWAY ALERT: STEER CLEAR OF TAX SCAMS Taxpayers have lost more than $1 million this year to tax scams involving fraudlent telephone calls and emails. These scams come in many guises but generally claim you have underpaid your taxes and are required to repay the tax debt immediately. They use personal information found online to convince tax payers they are legitimate. HOW TO IDENTIFY A SCAMMER:
- The ATO will never cold call you about a debt and will never threaten jail or arrest.
- The ATO will never request the payment of a tax debt via gift or pre-paid cards such as ITunes and Visa cards, nor will it ask for direct credit to be paid to a personal bank account.
- ATO will never request personal details, such as banking information via email .
HOW TO AVOID BEING TARGETED:
- Never share your TFN.
- Check and change your passwords if you have shared them with anyone.
- If you receive a suspicious call or email, do not provide any personal information or details of your affairs and contact us immediately.
- Keep your computer updated with anti-virus and anti-spyware technology.
For more information, click the following link:
http://scamwatch.gov.au/news/steer-clear-of-tax-scams To find out more about how to protect yourself against scammers, you can contact us on (02) 9262 4933